Check out my newest feature in Essence Magazine’s July 2013 issue highlighting some of the best Orange makeup and nail picks for summer! On stands now!
Unfortunately, I’ve been slipping on my weekly hair wash routine, and yes I’ll admit, my mane hasn’t been the freshest this week. I know, TMI! With a hectic schedule, time will not permit for me to run to the salon before this week is over. I’m still wrapping my brain around how to properly use dry shampoos, and the thought of doing my own hair from start to finish is a bit stressful. Luckily, I ran across Shu Uemura’s Essence Absolue Nourishing Hair Fragrance ($68 at shuuemuraartofhair-usa.com). Little did I know, this would become the quick fix and treasure my strands had been longing for.
Not only the first hair fragrance from Shu Uemura, but it’s one of the only amongst others, to be formulated with encapsulated oil pearls. The Camellia Oil infused mist adds deep nourishment and shine without weighing your hair down. Just shake it up, and spray about 8 inches from your scalp. You can use it on wet or dry hair, and you’ll experience a subtle lingering scent that’s not overbearing. The hair fragrance shouldn’t be habitually used in place of a wash, but it is a temporary refresher that delivers shine and a stunning scent. A winning match!
photo credit: Lifestyle Mirror
Julie Schott, Beauty and Fitness Editor at Elle Magazine
5 Questions Fast with Julie!
Lately, there are so many new facilities claiming to be your best fitness friends. In the past, cycling has been a bit of a challenge for me, but as I’ve been trying to open myself up to new fitness routines, it was only right to push myself a bit and give Soul Cycle a try. Soul Cycle is an indoor cycling facility solely dedicated to giving you a full body workout while pedaling and pumping to the latest tunes. When I arrived to the 77th street location, I quickly checked in at the front desk, was given my riding sneakers (they have their own custom shoes that have to be worn), and rushed over to the changing room. The changing room was a little small, but not annoyingly claustrophobic. When I walked into the classroom, there was a staff member ready to help me get all set up on my bike (you preregister where you would liket to sit). This was so helpful, as I walked in with the confused face per usual. The class began right on time, and to make a long story short, the instructor really turned up the heat. The music was on point, and the instructor was extra live. Toward the end of class, I was pooped, but delighted by the scented candle burning through out the session. I would highly suggest for anyone in the NYC area to give this place a try. You’re mind, body, and soul will thank you later.
photo credit: jgiwc.com
There are few makeup bag essentials that every woman should try to have handy at all times. Maybe you’re asked on a last minute date, called into meet some high level executives at work, or you happened to spot your favorite celebrity crush walking down the block, there’s always a way to give yourself a quick beauty boost! Most of you have your own own personalized quick touch-up recipes, but for those of you who don’t….
I’d say ALWAYS stuff in your makeup bag the following rescue items:
Concelear- Even more simplified then foundation, you can quickly dab on any dark marks or discoloration. Flawless skin is key, and most important!
Mascara- Fast, easy, and you shouldn’t need a mirror to apply mascara. It instantly gives your eyes a glammed up look without any additional eye shadow, liner, etc. When meeting someone, eye contact is key. So, why not jazz up your lashes up a bit? Make your peepers pop honey!
Blotting Powder- If your foundation is a melted mess after a few hours or the sun has made you look like you poured a whole bottle of baby oil on your face, blot away! if you don’t like powders, there are tons of blotting sheets and sprays on the market (drugstore and prestige brands). This will help balance out your skin, and zap any unwanted shine in a hot minute.
Lipstick- Find a shade that works well with anything you wear, and own it! There’s nothing like going from “hell no” to “hell yes” with just a quick swipe of red lipstck (or any color that fits you well). Lipstick stays in place, and lasts longer than gloss that can get sticky and out of place if not applied right.
Bronzer/Blush- If you need more warmth in your skin, and you want more of a sun kissed glow, brush bronzer on your cheeks to wake your face up, and add radiance. If you would rather a more “makeupy” finish, apply your favorite blush on the apples of your cheekbones. Blush is always cute, girly, and adds color to dull skin.
Because we all need a great makeup bag to keep our essentials and tools in, I’m giving away a new Marc by Marc Jacobs makeup bag (pictured above). Share this post on twitter or instagram via @livluvlaurean using hashtag #2snapsfreebie, and email firstname.lastname@example.org with Marc by Marc Jacobs Giveaway in the subject line, and you’ve entered to win this purttty little pouch. Good luck!
1. At one point did you discover how passionate you were about nail artistry? Once I started in the local Brooklyn salon at the age of 17, I saw how a pedicure instantly made people extremely happy, and I knew this is what I wanted to do.
2. Do you have any role models? I do. Growing up it was my Uncle Kevin, my mom and grandma. I look up to each for an extremely different reason. I am also inspired by many different art forms as well as other artists.
3. Are there nail trends that you think are “out with the old? Well to be honest, nail trends will never be out with the old! Everything that people are doing now, I’ve already seen and did over a decade ago, and I’m pretty sure someone before me did it decades before that. It’s all just recycled and remixed.
4. What nail trends are “in with the new?” Currently, textures are huge! It’s really cool to have leather nails ,concrete nails, latex nails, quilted nails, etc.
5. What’s the best part about your job? One of the bests things among many is once I shoot with a iconic team of photographers, models, hairstylists, makeup artists ,prop stylists, etc it’s captured for ever and becomes apart of history! The very best part is never knowing how far what I loved could take me. Still learning my craft, and I’m excited!
6. How do you stay on top of your game, and continue to work with some of the most glamorous celebs and magazines? I pray alot! I write down everything I want and will do! I have an amazing agent/manager who’s such a huge blessing. I am always doing research, up late at night searching for new things. I know from experience that talent isn’t enough. So I pay attention, stay humble and work so everything stays in line with my ultimate goals!
7. What nail trends do you predict will pop up the most this summer? Alot of clean nails and alot of textured nails. Pop art is going to be big this summer!
8. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received? Always be yourself. Stay humble and let your passion lead the way.
photo credit: Instagram @nailglam
Uber, duper, super excited about the new Straight Finish Heat Styled System from Motions! For all you naturalistas who like to have the option of switching it up, this new system is God sent! If you have natural curls, and you continually use hot tools, your texture begins to change–which can be an issue for those who like versatility. Well, oh thank heaven, Motions picked up on this long overdue issue. First, you begin by washing your hair with the Straight Finish Cleanser. The cleanser is formulated with Shea Butter, Soy Bean Oil, and Keratain Protein to add structure and strengthen your curls. Next, you follow with no more than a quarter size of the Straight Finish Leave-in Conditioner to add a protective layer of moisture. After applying the leave-in, blow dry your hair. Once it’s blown straight, add about 1 or 2 pumps of the Straight Finish Sealer to eliminate frizz, and leave a radiant shine. The sealer is formulated with a satin blend of Argan Oil and Almond Oil. I gave the products a go, and they really showed my strands some TLC. After one wash, I noticed my curls snapped back, and actually looked like they slightly had a bit more volume. I’ll definitly be adding this system to my hair routine.
By posting your favorite curly or straight look on Instagram or Twitter, including in the caption @LivLuvLaurean @motionshair and using hashtags #Curly2Straight #2snaps #giveaway, you’ve entered for a chance to win the New Motions Straight Finish Heat Styling System. PLUS, you’ll win a flat iron to help you style from IOS Professional. Good luck!
If you don’t win this time around, all of the Motions products can be purchased at your local Target or Walmart.